Saturday, June 21, 2014

What Does Life Begins at 40 Really Means?

According to wikipedia, Life Begins at 40 is a self-help book with the general thrust that, given the current conditions of the world, one could look forward to many years of fulfilling and happy existence after age 40, provided that one maintained the proper positive attitude. As I celebrate my 40th, it's not just about looking forward but looking back to many years of fulfilling and happy existence. 

It may sound cliché but there’s nothing more I could ask for, as I reach the age of life begins… God has been very good to me. I feel so blessed. He granted all my prayers. Where I am now, especially my career was because of Him. It has not been an easy journey but every rugged road I passed through was all worth it.
I successfully crossed my college days with an allowance just enough for my needs and nothing extra for dining-out or watching a movie but with the end goal of completing my studies, earn a degree and find a job, I pushed through with whatever little I had. Eight months after getting my university degree, including review and licensure examination, I found a job. Barely 2 months in my job, I got my license as a Social Worker. My first job led to another one and I was never unemployed since then.   

At the strike of midnight...thanks to someone for the effort 

During one of my field monitoring trips in Zambia
All these jobs molded me to who I am personally and professionally. I was lucky to be given the opportunity to perform my best and excel in whatever I do. Over and above doing my best, I enjoyed and still enjoying the work that I do. My career direction was very clear, and the whole universe conspired for me to get it. I was able to work overseas, in five countries actually! get an INGO employment without any placement fee and without undergoing the normal recruitment process from DOLE-POEA.  Being in my current position is already a bonus because what I wanted was a paid job in the development sector only. Getting a secured job led to other dreams getting realized. 


Before reaching 40, I was able to travel to places I wanted to visit both abroad and in the Philippines, be it through official or personal trips. There is still plenty in my bucket list but seeing those places was already so much to be thankful for. Another dream realized was traveling with mama (my mother) overseas. There’s nothing more fulfilling than taking your mother on a tour overseas.

Trip to Singapore with mama

Love life has never been perfect.  After a few attempts of being in a relationship, I finally found the best fit for me.  Indeed good things come to those who wait. The 40th celebration of my birth was one of the best. It was not just a celebration of my birth date but a celebration of life.  Thanks to those who have been with me in this journey and to those who would still be with me as I continue this journey.  

Celebrated my 40th at Burubudor



No comments: