Sunday, March 16, 2014

The first six months of my journey to the land of unexpected

Six months ago, I touched down in the land of unexpected with all the well-wishes inside my heart and the scary stories at the back of my head. It was a mix of emotions. I was looking forward to my new job, new work environment and new people to work with. My touch down in Port Moresby started on a good note with the kindness of the Filipinos on-board Air Niugini.

I stayed in a hotel for almost 4 weeks where things slowly unfolded as I get to find my bearing in Papua New Guinea (PNG). It was the start of building relationships which opened up doors for meeting new people and opportunities. I couldn't ask for more in the last 6 months while discounting the given factors in the living and working environment of PNG. Everything fall into the right places through the unfailing intervention of the divine master. This quick and easy adjustment wouldn't be possible without the support of people I was destined to meet. The Order of Carmelites priests helped me navigate myself around Port Moresby and introduced me to the culture of PNG. They played the role of my induction facilitators. It was more helpful in the sense that their orientation is aligned with development work being themselves missionaries in this country. Meeting them led to meeting more Filipinos in PNG. There are many other assistance they have extended that I don't want to enumerate here but to sum it all, they are a great support to my adjustment. People I can call my family in PNG.     
The Order of Carmelites in PNG
The Order of Carmelites were instrumental in introducing me to the Santa Cruz family whose help and kindness are immeasurable. They have treated me like a family and they are indeed another family in PNG. Regular meals at their place, movies at the cinema, trip to the salon and Sunday masses wouldn't be possible without them. The Santa Cruz family was one of the pioneering Filipinos here and they are a good source of knowledge and information about PNG. Meeting them led me to finding a comfortable house in probably the safest place in Port Moresby, called Islander Village. It's a small village at the center of PoM where freedom can be enjoyed which is a rare opportunity for most expats here. Freedom means walking and jogging around without worrying about my safety and security. I can sleep soundly without any fear of house break-ins.    

The street to my house 

I have restricted my mobility due to a couple of major reasons. Hopping on a taxi is not advisable due to safety and security risks and as an expat employee of an INGO with limited resources, I am not provided with a car though I get picked-up and dropped off from home to work.  Moving around Port Moresby is difficult without a car; however, even with a car, driving around is also limited since you have to know the safest roads to take and places to visit. Besides, cars are very expensive and I don't have any plan of buying one in the near future if I will only use it for grocery runs. As a person with an outgoing personality, staying indoors is a big change for me. However, this restriction brought positive things because I am able to cook my meals properly including packed lunch at work; I am able to harness my skills in baking and I am able to save because there are no regular dine-out, unnecessary expenses or other activities to spend to.

All the necessities to keep a person live a decent life are available. There is a good stock of food at the groceries, from imported to locally produced foods. Seafoods and fresh vegetables which I enjoy so much during my meals. Items which you will find in Filipino houses back home are available in all major supermarkets. You won't crave for Filipino dishes unless you are too lazy to cook! Fine dining restaurants and coffee shops are also available if you want to eat out. 

All the anxieties I felt before coming here are slowly gone and everyday I am more inspired to do something different for my organisation because this is the reason why I am here. It may sound idealistic but that's just being me! there are occasional ups and downs, moments of highs and lows but these are all part of the normal cycle of emotions. I have yet to learn and discover more about this culturally diverse country but so far, so good and that's all that matters for now! 

No comments: