Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A Humbling Christmas Experience...away from home

I always make sure that I am home for Christmas but it was not possible this year since I am only 3-month old in my work and besides taking advance vacation leave, I wanted to have it for a longer period of time in mid-2014 back in the Philippines. Determined to make the most of being away from home I decided to spend it in a remote village without electricity, out of mobile network and no internet connectivity. Nonetheless, it was a very humbling experience.

Midnight Mass

Christmas Day Mass
No fancy clothes, no expensive gifts, no festive meals but it showed the real meaning of the baby Jesus who was born in a manger. While attending mass, I couldn't help my mind from wandering off and, comparing and contrasting Christmas here and in the Philippines. I remember when I was a child; I would always feel bad if I don’t have a new dress on Christmas day. I feel sorry for myself if I don’t receive a gift, and I feel bad if we don’t have jamon or quezo de bola on Noche Buena. Christmas was more exciting not because of Jesus Christ’s birthday but because of everything ‘new’ during this season. These sentiments are not only mine but also of countless Filipino children. I outgrew all these things as time passed by, but I knew that a significant percentage of the Filipino children and even from other countries have the same expectations.  In this village, children and adults came barefooted, clothes without distinction if these are for everyday use or for special occasion. Nonetheless, they all came to pray and worship the reason for this celebration. In my own perception, they might be deprived of so many things but there are no traces of these on their faces. It’s difficult to fathom what’s in their hearts and minds but what I witnessed touched me in a very special way. Indeed we should always feel blessed and be thankful of what we have.

Gift-giving



Gift-giving
This year, I was not able to do my Share of Thanksgiving back home which was the annual party I throw for my family but I am glad to have done it for these children. I didn't pack much but the happiness from the children as they received the small gift, the pride in wearing the name tags from the Child Rights workshop until the Christmas Eve and Day masses and the smile as they took pictures with me was more than enough to show how the small gesture made them feel special. Surely, I'll never forget this experience!

Picture-taking with some of the kids

Traditional dishes- the share from the community...


No comments: