Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Merienda-Get-Together


Last Sunday, 9th of October 2011, the Philippine Embassy gathered Filipinos in Timor Leste for a ‘merienda’ get-together. The invite was plain and simple, a gathering of Filipinos so I have set my mind that there is really nothing to expect when it comes to formal discussions or the like.

I admit, out of curiosity, I confirmed attendance to the event and also as a way of supporting our embassy for the effort to organize such activity. I remembered I posted once in my wall, asking friends on FB what the role of an embassy really is, in a country. I got mixed answers; a number of them mentioned hosting parties which is a rare event in Timor Leste. Whatever the reason, why such events are rare, I have no idea.  Then there was this opportunity over the weekend to gather Filipinos. So, I did not hesitate to join.

The ‘merienda’ get together was what I was expecting because I did not pre-empt my mind from expecting something. While people are chatting, others were observing, two Filipinos were playing music on the background. Seats were not enough but I guess that was the primary purpose of it, for people to move around, meet-and-greet. Food was in abundance, they may not be 100% native ‘pinoy foods’ (because of the brownies, cake) but they were all palatable to Filipino tongue.

Like what I have mentioned, I was not expecting any program or formal announcements but I couldn’t help myself from sharing my observations. First, the same people which are typical of Filipino culture flocked around each other. If one belongs to one group, the same people stick to each other until the end. Second, most if not all, the Filipinos around were occupying mid-managerial and managerial positions in different organizations, private companies and government agencies (as advisors/consultants) in Timor Leste. Nowhere to be seen are those whom we referred to as ‘kababayan na nakipagsapalaran’ (compatriots who are taking chances) in Timor Leste. Those ordinary citizens who tried their luck in Timor Leste, those you never know if they have legal documents or not, those who may be documented or not. These are the people, to copy the term of my organization, the most deprived, excluded and vulnerable Filipinos, the sector who should be reached out by our ‘kababayans’, and the embassy. I am not pointing fingers or blaming anybody because if you would know the different life stories of Filipinos in Timor Leste, all you could utter is...’OMG, what a shame or OMG, what a pity”. Nonetheless, I was not happy because they were not around. 

On another note, there were negative comments I heard as well about the way ‘merienda get-together’ was organized, why there was no proper program, why there were no announcements, etc., etc; again, typical of Filipino character which likes looking at the negative side rather than finding good out of something. Personally, I have come to terms with realities. An embassy is not just an office; it is composed of people with different personalities and way of doing things. I had a very nice experience with the Philippines Embassy in Bangladesh to the envy of other VSO volunteers, but the same experience was never replicated in other countries I have worked and lived. In the same manner that I have to keep a mindset that situations vary under different circumstances, the less you expect, the less frustration you would have.

In the end, the effort was still worth recognizing. It may be old cliché but it still holds true, you cannot please everybody and I am glad I did not attempt to take Foreign Service even with the prodding and encouragement of my ‘lolo Vic’ who was an ambassador during Marcos’ time.  

1 comment:

Azl said...

Hi!

It's good to see you back to blogging again. I could just imagine itong kinukwento mo ngayon. Maybe the culture there is a bit different from the places you have been to. Enjoy mo na lang food!!! :-)