Saturday, October 15, 2011

Looking back...my time at LIKAS


While browsing, my iPod was playing Noel Cabangon’s latest version of Kanlungan, a music I’ve grown to love since I started my development work. While listening, it brings back memories of my time as community organizer. Looking back it seems like a very distant past. Working with the Lingap para sa Kalusugan ng Sambayanan (LIKAS) was my first real NGO work. I was shaped and molded into who I am and what I am because of it and the people who were working there, my colleagues, my boss who were my mentors and professional advisers up to now.
My team in LIKAS 

One of our jamming sessions

This was a hit then, and I was good in doing this...

I started as a humble community organizer in 2 communities surrounding Mt. Bulusan Volcano National Park on Biodiversity Conservation. I would walk an average of 4 kilometers going and coming out of the community without fear. I love to observe the way of life in the community, the pleasure of their hospitality. Those people I would never forget because they loved me like a member of their family.

I also enjoyed the simple pleasures life had to offer me then. Jamming with my colleagues, swimming in the rivers found in the communities we were working, trekking, mountain climbing, it was all adventure then. I loved it and that time, I didn't bother looking outside. I was happy with my work.

After sometime, I was given a break in the organization, from being a community organizer to being a program officer, doing multi-task and leading a team, to training farmers to staff of government ministries from other countries. My skills  and competencies in various aspects of development work was really developed. My potential was harnessed. 

I came to know many people through networks. Most of them I am still in touch. These people influenced me in one way or another about who I am and what I am doing now. They inspired me to be where I am now.

After eight years of being with LIKAS, I got burned out. I needed a change of environment and work. I needed a new adventure. VSO opened this opportunity for me. I went to Bangladesh which started it all, my international development career path. I am where I am now and I am who I am now because of LIKAS, the people which was more of a family than colleagues.


No comments: