Wednesday, September 25, 2013

First 30 Days in the Land of Unexpected: 4

You just have to get used to it and this, I guess is happening to me now! Saturday was spent in my room at the hotel. No regrets though because I managed to finish reading all pages of the Lamana Hotel magazine featuring information, attractions, sights, tours, maps, dining out and entertainment in PNG. It provided me basic information about “The Land of Unexpected” which a newcomer like me has to know.



The magazine helped me:  

…to know the spoken languages (english, pidgin English-tok pisin and Hiri Motu) 

…to know their religion which is predominantly Christianity practiced in harmony with local beliefs and traditions...the latter though has so much influence on their practices

…to know the seasons: dry season – May to October; wet season – December to March --- this I have to experience yet but indeed this month is a dry season, it's prickly heat!  

…to know useful phrases but practicing them would still be a challenge such as "how are you?"..."yu orait"..."sorry" is also "sori" only spelled differently

…to know local attractions which I plan to see one-by-one, and make sure that I do so within my two-year stay here. There are nice places to see and explore but given the condition in this country, I hope I can manage to visit some of the sights in the districts

…to know where to buy souvenir items which is useful before my R&R or home leaves or even in decorating the place I would find to be my home for 2 years

…to know restaurants which I also plan to cover all by hopping from one to another with the precondition that there is a car to take me there or someone who has a car to accompany me

…somehow get an idea of the city through the map and the entire country in terms of geographical/political division though I still have to navigate myself in the city


…getting around which I doubt is useful since I am not allowed to move around in public transport. Safe taxi companies are recommended but still i have to be cautious

Indeed it's the land of unexpected, though I still have to know why and where it got this tagline. 

No comments: