Tuesday, August 2, 2011

One month and still counting...

Thirty days ago, I set my foot at Nicolao Lobato International Airport to start a new life and face new challenges in Dili, Timor Leste. Moving from one country I realized is never easy but this is the nature of my work, the road less taken but I did. Looking back, let me just recount the good things that happened since I arrived in Dili.


With the help of a friend, way back Bangladesh time, establishing friendship was not difficult. In a week’s time, I made friends who are really new to me because I have never met anybody from these countries. One of them is from Peru, another one from Indonesia, a lady from Germany and the rest are Filipinos. They have a group called Casa Quinta Girls who are doing different work in development organizations. Each has its own expertise when it comes to development work. This support group made adjustment easier.


In a month’s time, I managed to find a place. A house which may not be the best to my standards but it is, for Timorese standards. It is located in a compound of four houses which are occupied by Filipinos as well. It feels more homey when you reach home just knowing that in your neighborhood are people you can rely on. Moreover, they are all from my region back in the Philippines. It’s a 15-minute drive from the city center but the comfort of the house is more important to me than being in the center. It limits mobility but there are always ways to make things possible. Just to add, one good thing though in Dili is the willingness of those who have cars to give you a lift whenever you are out with them.


Work shows real challenge as I have to start from zero as regards to M&E. There is no system in place though monitoring in an informal manner is carried out. However, with the complexities of the projects, it really keeps my brain working as I think of ways to satisfy the needs of the staff without disregarding the ideal from real, what is workable and not. Things have been slow but I always remind myself about the nature of the country and the character of the people with regards to capacity. It’s not easy but I have to. Slowly though I have started my work at a slower pace.


This is just the beginning but now I am less 1 month from the 24 months I would be here. Not that I am counting but it keeps me moving while keeping in mind the reason why I am here.

No comments: