Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Slow pace...try to understand...indeed a good excuse for not taking quick action

I have given myself 4 weeks to be patient about the pace of everything in my new place. I don't want to rant because I keep reminding myself of what my mom always tells me whenever I am in a new place, met people for the first time or we have a new member to the family, 'first impressions last'...this may not originally be mom's quote but she always remind me of this.

Four weeks of finding a house which would really keep up to my satisfaction but I failed. Asking colleagues, friends of new friends and some Filipinos. Deciding to settle for less as I have been spending enormous amount of money on food from eating outside and having running stomach all the time, I will soon be moving to a house which I would initially occupy for 6 months hoping that by the end of the contract, I would find a house I really like. The move to the new house was delayed for a week because of the late processing of initial payments.

The first thing to be done supposedly when you join an organization is to get oriented about your work and your organization, but 4 weeks have passed both have not been done. Giving the benefit of the doubt that people are busy, which I observed for the last two weeks due to pressing project proposals but I guess, 4 weeks is too much. I have read all the documents for self-learning but all these are for information purposes because I have no idea what to do with all these information.

Since I came in, I was using my laptop computer which is fine for me because I thought it would last for only a week or two, but 4 weeks have passed, I am still using my personal laptop. I have given specifications of my computer requirements because I need to develop database. Indeed they gave me one but very old one, MS Office 2003 and celeron processor. Another delay and up to this time, I am clueless if I would indeed get a new one or not.

I have been in development work for quite a significant number of years and I noticed that slow pace of work has always been an excuse for undone or delayed things. I would like to believe so but I always ask myself, would I accept such excuse? I hate pushing people but no matter how much I tried to control myself, I couldn't.

Development work is challenging but unless people who are helped to be developed won't have the commitment to do so, capacity building is another waste of money and resources. Development Workers may show example of how things should be done but unless the people who are helped in the change process are not willing to help themselves, nothing will happen.


No comments: