Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cory's Death

Saturday morning, I got a call from my Director who was in Lusaka, which was quite early for a weekend. Apart from updating about work, he broke a very important news to me. He said that your former-president passed away today. Upon hearing it, i already guessed that it must be Cory Aquino. My initial reaction was shock of course, and after gathering my composure, i told my director proudly: She is a big loss to the Philippines and the Filipino people. She is the fist lady president of Asia and she symbolizes democracy for she restored our democracy. I paused for some time and uttered a prayer for Corry Aquino. Afterwards, i spent few minutes remembering twenty years back. I was supposed to take entrance examinations for Philippine Science High School in Metro Manila that year, but because of People Power my parents canceled the plan. I did not bother myself so much why, but then i realized later on that our democracy was threatened and a civil strife might break out any time. Being in the peak of my teen-age years, I did not bother so much about what happened in EDSA although in my young mind, i knew it was a very important event to the Filipino people. Filipinos were proud for toppling the current President, then Ferdinand Marcos through a non-violent protest. I knew that Filipinos were one and united in the street urging Marcos to leave the Malacanang.

Years after, i realized that it was the right thing to do after being under dictatorship, Philippines deserve better leaders and the Filipino people deserve freedom. I was one of the so-called Martial Law babies, being born during the years when Philippines was under Martial Law. Counting the years since birth and the EDSA People's Power, it was indeed a long period of dictatorship. If you will add the beginning of Marcos regime, it was a momentous event for the Filipino people to topple the dictator in Malacanang. I did not imagine that such eventful year would become very important in the history of Philippine democracy. President Corazon Aquino restored the Philippine democracy and it was during her time that Philippine NGOs flourished with the democratic space the new government has provided. NGOs played a vital role in development during Aquino's administration, it assisted in providing services to the people. Until now, NGOs play a crucial role in guarding the democracy of the Philippines which her successor-presidents tried and still trying to curtail and suppress. I am proud and still proud of that part of history.

People's support shows how her legacy made an impact to the lives of the Filipino people. Filipinos all over the world are mourning over her death and i am grateful to the technology because despite my distance, i am able to watch live Cory Aquino's wake. I am one and with the Filipinos in mourning over the death of Cory Aquino. You will be forever remembered for restoring back the Philippine democracy and for bringing gender concerns into being.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. I would like to get updated with you new posts as I love to read your blog. Add me to your mailing list if you have any.

Aydel said...

I am sorry for not updating my blog. I will try my best to add some.