Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Goodbye Viet Nam

Thirteen months after setting foot in the lands of Viet Nam through Ha Noi, I was at the airport on my way back to the Philippines before I take on a new assignment. My stay in Viet Nam was an interesting one I would say, interesting both in the positive and negative sense of the word.

I was impressed by the intact culture of Viet Nam slowly being infused with the modernization of the world around. It is full of history and the very impressive one was the battle with the Americans which they have won and this pride is still evident in every Vietnamese which is understandable because it really made a mark in the history of the world. However, the pain of the war is still fresh which makes it difficult for some to move on.

This is the 3rd country I have lived, as in a home to me for a significant period of time. It was here that I had so much difficulty as regards to adjusting. Moving from a country with smiling and warm people, the adjustment made it very challenging for me. I would describe it as a survival of the fittest. I wouldn't regard language as a barrier because I have lived in a country where communication was also a real challenge; however, what made it difficult to interact with people in Ha Noi was difficult to describe.

Working was interesting because of the unique political system. I don't want to elaborate on this, knowing how Viet Nam protects so much its political affairs. Coming from Philippines where freedom abounds and sometimes subjected to abuse, being in the midst of this form of government was another challenge.

In general, I have learned a lot of things during my short stay in Viet Nam, I knew in my heart that I would visit it again one day, this time I hope to explore other parts of Viet Nam given the limitation of my holidays when I was working.

Definitely, Viet Nam would occupy a big chapter in the history of my life. Tam biet....

No comments: