Saturday, February 5, 2011

Looking Back...the Year Behind and Looking Forward...The Year Beyond

Towards the end of 2009, while in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania, I got an unexpected email having been told I volunteers are not eligible for fellowship. Surprisingly, I got confirmation about the short course I applied for including a full scholarship in the Netherlands. This started a good year ahead of me in 2010. This was just one of the blessings I received last year.

At the beginning of 2010, I got busy with the preparation for my trip to the Netherlands. Indeed, a good start because while I was attending the short course, I saw a job advertisement from MandENews, an on-line group of M&E practitioners I am subscribed to, for a UNV volunteer post in Viet Nam as M&E Officer. I was hesitant to apply having nine more months to complete as VSO volunteer with Caritas Chipata in Zambia. A place and work I have grown to love. However, I still decided to try my luck. After on-line test and interview, I got the post in Viet Nam. A major blessing for two reasons, first, I have long wanted to work in Viet Nam and second, a post which I have longed for a long time.

All these major blessings I received were shared with my manong. He has been with me in all these successes, supportive of what I have achieved although the setback of everything, I have to leave him in Zambia. With a good plan and everything about our relationship properly arranged and discussed, nothing seemed to matter but grab all the opportunities that have fallen into my path.

Middle of the year, I moved to Viet Nam keeping with me all the promises of how my relationship would continue. Full of expectations and idealism, I started living a life and working in Viet Nam. Never had I thought that it would be full of challenges. Adjustment was difficult, particularly my living environment, coming from Zambia where people were so friendly and warm. I have to navigate myself and find my bearing on my own both personally and professionally.

The first month was very good; the second month was still fine until the end of the year, my love life turned upside down. Coping up was difficult for me; I demanded more time and attention from my boyfriend which was something he couldn’t understand. Work-wise, I have to get into the system I was never used to. The work-pace, the depth of work, the people and the ladder I have to step into.

The neighborhood was not so friendly as I thought and I was used to, talking to people was difficult where language has become a barrier, navigating was hard, support system was out of reach, I came alone and I have to survive on my own. For so many times, I asked myself if I made the right choice of moving to Viet Nam.

Life became more difficult as months passed by, I sulked in my miseries. There was never a week when I didn’t cry no matter how hard I tried to console myself or think positively. However, I struggled to have a good disposition and positive outlook. It was a difficult fight but I managed to reconcile with my inner self and started to see the light, to be thankful of the blessings I had for 2010. God has given me the opportunities I have prayed for a long time in His time and this has made me think of the good things that happened to me.

Looking back, I would say that it was a good year for me, full of blessings which made me stronger and braver. Looking beyond, despite mum’s failing health condition at the beginning of the year; I still look forward to another wonderful year ahead of me.

No comments: