Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Noche Buena






Litsong manok (grilled chicken, the Filipino way), banana cake, spaghetti, rice and a bottle of Amarula (a drink made of cream with fruits of the marula tree, otherwise known as elephant tree) were on the table as noche Buena meals. I invited over the 3 priests from the Mchini Parish (where I take meals at least once a week) but only the two, Fr. Richard and Fr. Aaron made it because Fr. Odron was assigned in another district. However, Brother Charles, a seminarian joined as well. It was a simple evening which started with drinks to keep everyone awake, well not alcoholic drinks but coffee and tea. While reheating food, Christmas songs from the computer were playing to feel the spirit of Christmas at home since there was no single decoration because I decided to keep my attention away from the holidays. But it was inevitable so the meals compensated for the lack of feel of Christmas at home. Of course prior to eating was the serious and wacky shots…photo ops…so called.

The meals started with a prayer, I think it was impossible not to say grace before meals with priests around. I was happy that everyone appreciated the food I cooked. They were not extraordinary but they were well done, the cake, pasta and chicken. While sharing the meals we also shared the traditional Filipino Christmas. And I was able to do my global education using the national symbols and map posted on one side of my seating room walls, as visual aids. Unfortunately, I failed to show the miniature jeepney that was also on display.

The evening ended after almost three hours of chatting, sharing laughter and cultures. It was a good celebration, surviving Christmas away from home and making the most of the situation. I was glad and happy that the priests shared the evening with me. I remember back home, our Parish Priest was also at our home for the Noche Buena, so more or less, it was similar. Life is what you make it, I guess, you can sulk if you want but you can also be happy if you want to be. It’s up to you to choose which one you want.

No comments: