Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Social Costs of Overseas Filipino Workers…

The Social Costs of Overseas Filipino Workers…


Two months ago, I took my cousin, together with her family to the airport. After a couple of years waiting for this moment, it finally came! She was working in the Philippines for almost five years in a five-star hotel, occupying a good position, kind colleagues, receiving enough pay aside from the privileges of an employee like discounted rates for use of hotel facilities, free use during birthday, extravagant gifts during holidays among others. But for “greener pasture” she has to leave this job. Before the flight, everyone was excited and I share the same feelings because I knew that my cousin has long been waiting for this moment, and I am really happy for her. My reflection would not dwell on her departure but the insights I got when I was at the airport, together with some members of our family, to see my cousin off for the “promised land”.

I have been out of the country but I always pass through the main entrance and go straight to the check-in counter so, I don’t notice the far right corner of Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal I. The corner I was referring to is the office of Overseas Workers Welfare Association. In this very important side of NAIA I witnessed the large number of Filipinos leaving our country for better opportunities. I felt sorry for my country while at the same time feeling disgusted to the people governing our country. This is not an issue of Philippines as a country, I definitely love this! But those people in power that make the lives of Juan and Maria terrible!

Filipinos leave behind their families because their country cannot provide for their needs. While waiting for my cousin to queue for check-in, I have seen a couple hugging each other as if they don’t want to let go of each other…in one corner, another couple with the husband leaving behind a pregnant wife…a big family on the other side with (maybe) sisters hugging each other with the one going overseas sobbing while a brother (again maybe!) consoling and assuring that everything’s going to be alright…there were also instances when people sending off just bring down the luggage of the person leaving, probably to avoid sadness and pain. These different expressions of feeling communicate a common thing, parting with their love ones is difficult, like the old adage, goodbyes is better for those leaving than for the one left behind. This is very typical of Filipinos when left behind because this is who we are! For Filipinos, goodbye is the hardest word to say and the most difficult moment to face. However, for the sake of giving a comfortable life for those left behind, they have to face this sad part of saying temporary goodbye.

As I was observing these different reactions of people leaving and sending off, security guard was also busy telling them to move away from the glass wall and hand railings of the departure area. People were helpless but they have to follow instructions from the guard albeit reluctantly. But I hope the guards while performing their duties and responsibilities without compromising their work, should not be too harsh in telling people to move away from the gates of NAIA. They must understand such moments between departing OFWs and their families. To the government, in exchange for what these overseas Filipino workers are contributing to the Philippines, give them and their families a space to say their last minute goodbyes and last minute words without pressure of being told to keep off certain areas in NAIA.

With all the scenes I have witnessed playing back on my mind, I left NAIA with a heavy heart, probably mixed emotions. Primarily, one of my dearest cousins has just left. But what struck me most were my observations of the different scenes among OFWs leaving and families left behind. I salute those Filipinos who sacrifice many things in order to give a better life for their families whether as OFWs or immigrants. But what is the cost of this trend? I am not expecting answers from those who will read this because it is expected that there will be varying opinions but I have uploaded this entry as a point of reflection for each one of us. I shared this story with a friend who is also a development worker who told me that I was looking at it through my social lens which I said yes, but maybe unconsciously because my heart overshadowed the social barometer in me. I have been to three well-known developed countries, unfortunately or fortunately I never stayed long but I had opportunities as well to visit and live in developing countries. I remembered, when I reached my temporary home country for eighteen months, I will never forget the short prayer I said the moment my feet touched the tarmac. Yes, our country is never perfect but it is not Philippines itself which is to blame but the people governing it. I always tell people that for those who have been and living in these giant developed countries, Philippines is worst! But try to stay or visit developing countries; I assure you a big appreciation to our country and surely, you would also utter my very short prayer…thanks God, I am a Filipino.

No comments: